[lbo-talk] Could this be Michael Kelly's driver?

W. Kiernan wkiernan at ij.net
Mon Apr 7 16:05:33 PDT 2003

H. Curtiss Leung wrote:

> Could this have been the man driving Michael Kelly?
>
> > From http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Apr2003/b04072003_bt208-03.html:
>
> DOD IDENTIFIES NON-HOSTILE ARMY CASUALTY
>
> The Department of Defense announced today the name of a soldier who
> died Thursday when his vehicle ran off the road into a canal in Iraq.
>
> Staff Sgt. Wilbert Davis, 40, of Alaska, was assigned to the 3rd
> Battalion, 69th Armor, 3rd Infantry Division, Fort Stewart, Ga.
>
> The incident is under investigation.

Yeah, that's him. Sharp looking black guy, had a family. His story was on the front page of the Tampa Tribune today. He's the first soldier who lived here that died in this mess, that was Thursday.

http://news.tbo.com/news/MGAYNY2X7ED.html

Then another Tampa guy, Sergeant Paul R. Smith (33, married, two kids) was shot to death on Friday.

http://news.tbo.com/news/MGAR9TYY8ED.html

They both went to the same high school my daughter did. "Get your coffins ready, boys, Johnny's coming home." Christ, how many more, how long will this go on?

You know that loon Peggy Noonan? She says:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/?id=110003271

> We Can Take It

> The benefits of the long haul.

> BY PEGGY NOONAN

> Monday, March 31, 2003 12:01 a.m. EST

> Unanticipated good can come from misfortune. When the war

> began 11 days ago, on that Thursday morning that began with

> the big bunker blaster hit on the famous target of

> opportunity, it seemed possible, if only for 48 hours, that

> this just might be an easy war...

> We are going to win, as everyone seems to know, but there

> is no longer a chance that it will be "easy." This is bad

> because easy is better. Easy means fewer dead and less

> dread. But--a big if somewhat grim but--there is some good

> to be gotten from the long haul. And perhaps we ought to

> be thinking about it...

> ...They are about to see America could fight for it--that

> we had and have the stomach for a struggle...

Unanticipated good that Sergeant Davis went into the ditch, shows the world "we" can take it. On the other hand, his passenger:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/?id=110003271

> Michael Kelly, RIP

> A journalist of brilliance and independence dies doing what he

> loves.

> Friday, April 4, 2003 3:22 p.m. EST

> The death of Michael Kelly is a sin against the order of the world...

and on and on until your head spins, you know how awful she gets. I read this stuff and get all red and emit intemperate profane statements like "fuck the rich" which I later regret having let out. Sorry.

Yours WDK - WKiernan at concentric.net