[lbo-talk] Query: trafficking and slavery

Diane Monaco dmonaco at pop3.utoledo.edu
Tue Apr 8 06:50:05 PDT 2003

At 03:32 PM 4/7/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>At 02:21 PM 4/7/03 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>There have been many accounts published in the last few years in the
>>international 'trade' in women (mostly I believe from Thailand & Eastern
>>Europe, to quite a few nations), but I can't recall a specific source
>>right now. Has someone posted on this list on the matter? If not, can
>>anyone suggest a web site, or a publication?
>>
>>The topic has come up on a literary list I sub to.
>>
>>Carrol
>
>Diane Monaco
>dmonaco at pop3.utoledo.edu
>

><http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=+site%3Asquawk.ca+lbo-talk+trafficking+women>

Thanks Carrol and Kelley for the query and search. The most comprehensive/recent treatise I have found so far, is a special issue of the Oxfam journal:

GENDER AND DEVELOPMENT: Trafficking and Slavery, Vol 10, No 1, March 2002 (10 articles)

Also, the following two online publications are excellent exposes:

MAKING THE HARM VISIBLE; GLOBAL SEXUAL EXPLOITATION OF WOMEN AND GIRLS, SPEAKING OUT AND PROVIDING SERVICES edited by Donna Hughes and Claire Roche: http://www.uri.edu/artsci/wms/hughes/mhvint.htm

PROFITING FROM ABUSE: AN INVESTIGATION INTO THE SEXUAL EXPLOITATION OF OUR CHILDREN (2001) UNICEF: http://www.unicef.org/pubsgen/profiting/profiting.pdf

Other very useful resources compiled by Nittaya Thiraphouth include:

Videos:

"Bought and Sold" (1997): http://www.witness.org "Out of Sight, Out of Mind" (1999): available from Anti-Slavery International "Sisters and Daughters Betrayed" The Global Fund for Women "The Child Brides: Early and Forced Marriage (1998)" available from Anti-Slavery International

Websites:

Anti-Slavery International: http://www.antislavery.org/ CHANGE: http://www.antitrafficking.org Coalition Against Trafficking in Women: http://www.catwinternational.org Committee Against Modern Slavery: http://www.ccem-antislavery.org Dutch Foundation Against Trafficking in Women (STV): http://www.bayswan.org/FoundTraf.html ECPAT International: http://www.ecpat.net Global Alliance Against Trafficking in Women: http://www.thai.net/gaatw Global March Against Child Labour: http://www.globalmarch.org International Labour Organisation, International Programme on the Elimination of Child Labour: http://www.ilo.org/public/english/standards/ipec/index.htm International Organization for Migration (IOM): http://www.iom.int La Strada: http://www.ecn.cz/lastrada Network of Sex Work Projects: http://www.nswp.org/ Stop-Traffic: http://www.stop-traffic.org

I'm also writing a book on trafficking for a university press that will hopefully be finished sometime in 2004.

Best, Diane