[lbo-talk] Ends/Means

BrownBingb at aol.com BrownBingb at aol.com
Tue Apr 8 13:42:07 PDT 2003

Take the case of self-defense. Am I justified in using the means of killing to obtain the end of preventing someone who is about to kill me ? Yes. Are Iraqis justified in killing Americans who are killing and about to kill them ? Yes, on the principle of self-defense.

Are we correct to say that what the Iraqis do in that regard is just ? yes. Their means are justified.

"Celebrating" it is evidence of a certain level of enthusiasm for justice, but does not go to the core issues. One might consider that the enthusiasm for justice in this case "should" be tempered by sadness at loss of "any human life". On the other hand, are we sad at the death of Hitler ? J Edgar Hoover ? Saddam Hussein ?

Disclaimer: This is not a sleazy lawyer's argument.

Charles -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20030408/a39aa3c1/attachment.htm>