[lbo-talk] Splendid Little War II

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Wed Apr 9 10:51:37 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu>

> > I thought it was the Louisiana Purchase.....Or maybe the ratification
of
> > the Constitution itself..........
> >

> Just being a bunch of aggressive pricks & slavedrivers with a genocidal
> agenda (re the previous inhabitants) does not quite an Empire make. :-)
>
> I think Carl's starting point isn't bad, esp. if one combines it with
> the Open Door Policy and the building of the Panama Canal. That's when
> the U.S. ruling class really stepped forward on the world stage.
>
> Carrol

Precisely what liberal historians and historiographers would like us all to believe, as if the conquest of a huge slice of a continent was mere nation building. The 'founders' loved the Romans far more than the Greeks as their political model, that should clue you into the bunk proffered about the emergence of the US empire.

Ian