[lbo-talk] Nathan again

Michael McIntyre mmcintyr at depaul.edu
Wed Apr 9 12:05:41 PDT 2003

When the antiwar movement can't actually stop the war, we hear: "So what's the achievement? Tactical successes such as a few big rallies? Rallies are means, not achievements. Why should we praise tactics that coincided with AN INCREASE in support for uniltateral war? The February global rallies seemed to make a small untick in opposition but it was pretty ephemeral.

The idea that the left will inevitably lose just gives license to this kind of justification for failed tactics and a refusal to do analysis on how to win."

When unions keep losing ground on union density, we hear: ">And since over 90% of the private-sector working class is no longer
>represented by unions, should we "unite" with the vast majority of
them
>in a union-free environment?

Absolutely-- that's call new union organizing and a range of community-based workplace organizing where unionization will be hard to reach for a number of years. "

And a couple of side points: Can we take it that silence is assent...you'll cop to the fact that those of us critical of Dems do "work with" them?

"Corporate state" and "state corporatism" are not synonyms...not even close. Think Philippe Schmitter ("Still the Century of Corporatism?" Review of Politics, 1974), not James Weinstein. Arguing, as you do now, that the threat of labor unrest helped cause the state policies that caused the surge in union membership in WW2, is very different from your original claim that competition between the AFL and CIO directly caused this surge in union membership. Double standards and changing the subject seem to be par for the course.