[lbo-talk] Nathan again

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Wed Apr 9 13:21:20 PDT 2003

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 14:05:41 -0500, Michael McIntyre <mmcintyr at depaul.edu> wrote:

> "Corporate state" and "state corporatism" are not synonyms...not even
> close. Think Philippe Schmitter ("Still the Century of Corporatism?"
> Review of Politics, 1974), not James Weinstein.

Fred Block in an issue of Social Problems from the SSSP had an excellent critique of the New Left "corporate liberal" school of analysis/history from weinstein, Kolko, Martin J. Sklar. Collected in his book of essays on neo-marxist state theorizing from UC Press. Also see, Fred Block and Lloyd Gardner, "Continuing Debates: Empire and DomesticReform," Radical History Review No. 45 (Fall 1989): 98-123.

On another of Michaelk McIntryre's points, I assume everyone knows of the work of Eric Mann in L.A. building militant links between community (bus riders union) and labor struggles. Mann, btw, has a new book on the Durban WCAR. Michael Pugliese