[lbo-talk] That giant sucking sound ...

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Apr 9 12:49:18 PDT 2003

Brian:
> Wojtek, workers in the United States had won the 8 hour day
> in several industries through their own organizing efforts by
> the end of the 1910s. Because of grassroots movements, in
> fact, the 6 hour day was at that time perceived to be just
> around the corner. When a 6 hour day seemed inevitable, World
> War 2 happened and it became unpatriotic to agitate.

I did not say that grassroots movement is unimportant. I was saying that grassroots movement alone - without collapse or collaboration of the state - are yet to produce any lasting political change. Check for example William Gamson, _The Strategy of Social Protest_.

> Also, why do you want to hear about grassroots organizing
> that hasn't caused a crisis in state control? Grassroots
> movements that are effective generally cause this crises in
> state control.

That is true only when grassroots movement waits until the state is weakened (e.g. by a crisis or a war) or when there is power struggle among th eranks of the ruling class, and some of the factions turn to a grassroot movement for help. I know of no single instance of a grassroots movement seriously wounding (save for minor disruptiions that are promptlu crushed) a functionning state that had not experienced a crisis or an internal strife.

Hence my counsel to to the peace and other movement organizing on this list and elsewhere. Do not fool yourself that you can turn around the machinery of the state by your dedication and a few clever tricks. That is an illusion of a pauper trying to outwit the slot machine. Wait unil the beast is seriously wounded and only then move for the kill. But until that happens do not put your fingers in the gears, albeit some sand would not hurt.

Wojtek