[lbo-talk] Iraq war "clearer" to Americans than WW 2

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Wed Apr 9 15:13:35 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: andie nachgeborenen To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 2:23 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Iraq war "clearer" to Americans than WW 2

> I agree with that. Luke is (as usual) utterly wrong headed, but he does have the merit of posing > things with brutal simplicity. But I think you are mistaken about the failure of "the left: to pose > an alternative. We did, by and large: a world ruled by international law.

Real international law (e.g. the sort that would make regimes like Saddam's crumble while preventing states like the US from taking the responsibility upon themselves) requires coercive power that no international body currently possesses a sufficient amount of.

-- Luke -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20030409/e27c4773/attachment.htm>