[lbo-talk] Vive La France?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Apr 10 09:37:57 PDT 2003

Lou:
> Are you serious about this? You are comparing the
> -government of France- to
> Jews oppressed by the Nazis, or to the government of Iraq in
> the gunsights of
> the Pentagon?
>
> I know the NY Post has an editorial today entitled "On to
> Paris!", but
> SERIOUSLY. You feel called upon to organize an international
> solidarity
> movement to defend Jacques Chirac from persecution?!

No. But I find the French bashing crowd in the US infinitely more repulsive than French political maneuvering.

> The people you are really afraid of shaking up are those
> sections of the left
> who got led into the whole Francophile thing during the
> Security Council
> debates and haven't found their way out yet. Well, they
> SHOULD be shaken up.

I do not need to be shaken up, because I do not have any ideological blindness preventing me from seeing things a certain way. I have no doubt that French governemnt acts out of self-interest, but I do not expect anyone to act altuistically - that is a true illusion of the Left. I see nothing worng in collaboarating with someone on one issue and disagreeing on another issue. Wojtek