[lbo-talk] Vive La France?

loupaulsen at attbi.com loupaulsen at attbi.com
Thu Apr 10 11:20:01 PDT 2003

> Lou:
> > you do that very thing for Jacques Chirac. I am not interested
> > in "pillorying" you or anyone, but aren't you in fact making
> > yourself an
> > apologist for Jacques Chirac with much less justification?
>
> Jaques Chirac, Saddam Hussein, George Bush ..... You do not really think
> it is about individuals, do you? No matter how repulsive or charming a
> politician representing a country is, it is the broader international
> relations that matter.

Of course I don't think it is about individuals. If you like, I'll rephrase it: "aren't you in fact making yourself an apologist for the imperialist government and ruling class of France?"

> Curbing US unilateralism and belligerence is a good thing for the rest
> of the world and 95 % of its population. If accomplishing that goal
> takes forming pacts with leaders whose reputation is less than stellar -
> so be it.
> Wojtek

You make it sound as if Chirac (excuse me, the government of France) were about ready to go to war with the US and truly 'curb US unilateralism' as Churchill (excuse me, the government of Britain) and FDR (the gov't of the US) did with Hitler (the gov't of Germany). Instead they are civilly saying, "Excuse me for asking, dear chum, but do you suppose you could pass me a savory slice of rump of Iraq? There's no need to snarl at me. I'm asking politely. MUST you hold a grudge? It's very uncivil of you to eat the whole thing. It won't be good for your figure." If this has even begun to "curb US unilateralism" nobody has noticed it yet.

Also, the people of the world are dying to see the terms of the Chirac- Sokolowski "pact". Might you be a good fellow and post the text of it here? Or perhaps you think it is only a tacit "pact". Let's see, you will say only nice things about the government of France, and it will .. do what exactly? Attempt to shove the nose of the US out of the plate and get some? You mean to say they would not do this in the absence of your 'pact'? "Well, our ambassador was insulted in Baltimore today, so now we will sulk.... We won't have any nice Iraq at all, if that's how you feel about it."

That's it, you can have the last word if you want.

LP