[lbo-talk] Re: Worker's Paradise (was: Gulag query)

David Mandl dmandl at panix.com
Fri Apr 11 08:48:23 PDT 2003

>From: "Chris Doss" <itschris13 at hotmail.com>
>To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org
>Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Gulag query
>Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 08:34:49 -0400
>
>>Wow. The activists who did time in mental hospitals (including people I
>>knew) might disagree with this.
>>
>> --Dave.
>
>Such people were not everyday Soviets. Everyday Soviets were not activists.
>They were also usually rather pro-state. The crushing of the Hungarian
>uprising and the invasion of Afghanistan were both supported by the bulk of
>the Soviet population. Sakharov was about as representative of public mood
>in the Brezhnev era as Chomsky is of American, possibly less so.

Holy cow...an actual Soviet apologist/revisionist.

The bulk of the American population supports the invasion of Iraq--I guess that's OK, then. And I didn't realize that it's OK to put people with non-mainstream views (even less representative than Chomsky's!) in mental hospitals. It's like an old cartoon in the situationist zine "Spectacular Times": Some stuffy old British banker-type in a suit sniffs, "I don't know what these protestors are grumbling about--I've lived in this country for 63 years, and I have never ONCE been beaten up by the police."

--Dave.

-- Dave Mandl dmandl at panix.com davem at wfmu.org http://www.wfmu.org/~davem