[lbo-talk] Fox News' Shepard Smith boasts of patriotic bias

Brian O. Sheppard bsheppard at bari.iww.org
Sun Apr 13 10:34:24 PDT 2003

from Newsmax.com's Left Coast Report of April 13. - Brian

--

3. Shepard Smith on Geraldo, Peter Arnett, Fox News' Patriotism

Fox News Channel anchorman Shepard Smith doesn't apologize for his network's lack of ABC-style anti-Americanism.

"I don't think there is ever a time when patriotism is a bad thing. Ever. I don't care what sort of mistakes, I will defend it," he says in this week's issue of Broadcasting & Cable magazine.

Smith notes that "we were Americans before we were journalists. I think I can be American and still report factually.

"If someone suggests that I can't be objective, is that like suggesting I can't be objective in covering racial issues because I'm white or I can't be objective covering issues between the Jews and Palestinians because I am Christian?"

That shriek you hear is coming from Ted Turner.

As for the fuss over Peter Arnett and FNC's Geraldo Rivera: "One of those situations is an editorial situation; one is a technical situation," Smith says.

"Peter Arnett's statements speak for themselves. Anyone who has watched Geraldo's coverage through this war knows the last thing Geraldo Rivera would do is aid and comfort the enemy."