[lbo-talk] "Knee-Jerk Anti-Imperialism" Re: Two Takes

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sun Apr 13 18:01:24 PDT 2003

>Chip Berlet asked:
>> >Exactly who deliberately left Pearl Harbor open to attack?
>
>Shane Mage replied:
>> FDR withheld intercepted Japanese messages from
>> Kimmel and Short.
>
>Most historians say this claim is simply bogus, because there is no evidence
>linking the messages to any awareness by Roosevelt.

FDR was Commander In Chief, and took that reponsibility very seriously. It was his job to be instantly made aware of material enemy intercepts. If "most historians" claim that absence of a declassified paper trail is reason to conclude that FDR was derelict in his duties, than "most historians" are idiots and/or prostituted imperialist apologists (your conclusion, not necessarily mine).

>Please name the sources you rely on for your assertion about FDR, other than
>material circulated by the Institute for Historical Review.

Our greatest historian (Charles Beard) and our greatest historical novelist (Gore Vidal) should suffice.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things."

Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 64

P.S. Assuming that it was GWBush who *personally*

ordered the stand down of US air defenses on 11/09/01,

what is your estimate of the likelihood that a

paper trail establishing that fact will be made

available to "most historians" sometime in the

next millenium?