[lbo-talk] Cuba petition

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Tue Apr 15 14:33:46 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>
>The Cuban state, however, is entitled to making
>it illegal to for Cuban "dissidents" to accept money from the USG
>secretly. What may be appropriate the appropriate punishment for
>those who violate such prohibition? Not sentencing the criminals to
>long terms in prison. Appropriate punishment in this case appears to
>me to be to expose their funding sources publicly, confiscate their
>undeclared and untaxed incomes, and leave them otherwise unmolested,
>i.e. trust the Cuban people to make whatever judgments they may about
>US-funded "dissidents."

If Cuba was a country that did not punish those receiving foreign money, a requirement that money be disclosed might be appropriate but I don't even think that's reasonable. And of course Cuba does threaten to punish open acceptance of funds, so a punishment for being secret about it just creates a ridiculous catch 22 justification for their punishment.

A key constitutional case was won by the NAACP that they did not have to reveal their sources of funding or membership lists back at the beginning of the civil rights movement. Whether disclosure of your source of funding is reasonable is a pretty hotly debated issue in all sorts of forums, from human rights to campaign finance in the US.

Should the US force the WWP and RCP to be publicly audited for the source of all their funding-- there have been accusations of both receiving foreign funding. I dislike the WWP intensely (as is obvious) by I would sign an amicus brief tomorrow defending their right against such intrusive government auditing of their sources of income.

-- Nathan Newman