[lbo-talk] "Knee-Jerk Anti-Imperialism" Re: Two Takes

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Tue Apr 15 14:29:19 PDT 2003

Hi,

Re: Pearl Harbor

Well, here is some stuff from Amazon that helps sort it out. There was a conspiracy, but not by Roosevelt--that's the right-wing version of reality spewed by Mage who doesn't know that he is being played for the fool with another Right-Woos-Left biased conspiracy theory attacking liberalism, secret elites, and big government. Not a radical left analysis at all, more like the John Birch Society. The actual conspiracy was by the military to hide its own misfeasance over the failure to deal with the content of the intercepts of Japanese messages and report them to Roosevelt. It was them and right-wing anticommunists who created the myth about Roosevelt knowing about Pearl Harbor in advance. Can anyone remember the old China Lobby? Can we say Chennault?

This is why it is so important to understand the concept of Right-Wing Populism. It is so easy for it to sound leftist. It is so easy to pick up the conspiracy theories generated by the political right and insert them into left discussions where they can do great damage before they get stomped out.

-Chip

===From Library Journal

By now everyone is aware that the worst of the Pearl Harbor tragedy might have been avoided if the United States had heeded the warnings more carefully and had had a little luck. Clausen adds to the picture by describing his high-level wartime mission to find the truth about the raid. Although he makes dramatic charges of laxness and organizational bungling, his overheated claims of outright malfeasance are neither new nor surprising. If the book adds little to the controversy, however, the wartime documents it reproduces make a useful addition to the Pearl Harbor literature. It is written in a fastidious, lawyerly fashion but is a nice supplement to Gordon Prange's classic At Dawn We Slept . Previewed in Prepub Alert, LJ 5/15/92; for other Pearl Harbor books, see "The Day of Infamy in Print," LJ 9/1/91, p. 206-07.--Ed.

- Raymond L. Puffer, U.S. Air Force History Prog., Los Angeles Copyright 1992 Reed Business Information, Inc.

===Ingram

An reexamination of the bombing of Pearl Harbor, based on an original eight hundred-page report and hundreds of sworn affidavits, shows that the American military conspired to blame the attack on President Roosevelt and the civilian leadership. 60,000 first printing. BOMC. QPB. History Bk Club.

===Book Description

Now in paperback in time for the blockbuster movie-the only book to name fourteen men most responsible for the disaster at Pearl Harbor.

In 1944, Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson, knowing that high-ranking members of the military had falsely testified before the various bodies investigating the attack on Pearl Harbor, selected a then-unknown major by the name of Henry C. Clausen to undertake a new investigation. From November 1944 to September 1945, Clausen traveled more than 55,000 miles and interviewed over a hundred U.S. and British Army, Navy, and civilian personnel. He was given the authority to go anywhere and question anyone under oath, from enlisted personnel right up to George C. Marshall, the Chief of Staff. He ultimately presented an 800page report to Stimson-a report that revealed a massive operational failure by the United States to use the priceless signals intelligence that it had obtained months before Pearl Harbor. Pearl Harbor is the "final judgement"-the story behind Clausen's investigation and a blistering account of his conclusions.