[lbo-talk] re: how does it feel

mark cox mcwonkaboy23 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 15 21:46:29 PDT 2003

I remember when I was young an extremely fertile couple, the Pryors, lived next door to us for awhile. They not only procreated at an alarming rate, but also, oddly in my opinion, felt compelled to begin all their children's names with the letter 'J'. On one boring summer day, probably during my 9th or 10th summer, I was hanging out front of my house idling the time away with their two eldest children, Jennifer and James, who were probably 4 and 6 at the time, when Jennifer came up with the idea that we should play "parade". Since Jennifer and James couldn't cross the driveway that bordered the west side of their property or the east side of mine, our parade route was necassarilly short, and entailed a lot of turning around. Not sure why this memory came so vividly to mind during one anti-war protest I attended on Michigan Avenue last fall, but I think probably because, relatively, the delineation of our CPD bordered parade route was much the same. We went a couple blocks, turned around and went back, and again and then just kind of dispersed having done our little march.

My point I guess is that while demonstrating my peacenikism I often felt somewhat patronized. Maybe it was the bemusement of my girlfriend to the whole Cox family protest mania, being a neuroscientist she tends to take the long view, considering the present state of the human species to be at best a phase in a journey to something better, at worse something to be borne with some aplomb or maybe studied resignation while along for the ride.

Or maybe it was the general bemusement of the Chicago cops (except during the protest in which 700 protesters were arrested) who've dutifully attended all the anti-war protests here.

Maybe it was the derision that most of my 30 something friends felt towards the protests in general, lumping it with what they consider other exsasperating throw-backs to the 60's and 70's like the return of bell-bottoms. Feeling as they do that the whole ground has shifted, the physical space isn't the point anymore and that the anti-war movement is misguided in it's use of the same old, old-tech, tactics.

And maybe it's because some of the more strident/silly veins in the character of the protests made me question the veracity of the movement too.

Illusions of a movement characterized by fierce discipline in lock step crashing against the reality of strange folks skipping by in silk dragon suits or speakers shouting, when audible, inane things that didn't at all reflect my understanding of what forces were at work in the mounting, and in retrospect what seemed an inevitable, movement towards war.

Or maybe it was just that I never got the sense that those we were protesting against ever really felt that threatened.

But mostly it was how ordinary life for most people just kind of went on as usual. Moments where I'd be walking along the crowded sidewalks of the Chicago loop and seeing people going about their daily lives and thinking, "Doesn't this freak you out!?" "Doesn't this piss you off?" Apparently not.

_________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail