[lbo-talk] RE: how's it feel?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Apr 16 06:49:33 PDT 2003

Chuck0 wrote:

>No, it's a long way from being worse. It's gotten pretty bad, but
>most activists have no perspective on the situation, because most of
>them will never feel the worst effects of increased government
>repression.

I'm editing my interview with Zizek, and listened to a bit that sort of went by me when I was doing the interview. He said the danger isn't really that Bush will literally institute police-state measures as the bounds of what's acceptable have moved considerably. For example, people talk openly about the use of torture now, a position that two or three years ago would have been confined to right-wing cranks. You could say the same about how anything remotely critical is now coded as unpatriotic. These sorts of things are powerful, but hard to specify and fight against.

Doug