[lbo-talk] RE: how's it feel?

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Apr 16 07:39:30 PDT 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Chuck0 wrote:
>
>> No, it's a long way from being worse. It's gotten pretty bad, but most
>> activists have no perspective on the situation, because most of them
>> will never feel the worst effects of increased government repression.
>

> I'm editing my interview with Zizek, and listened to a bit that sort of
> went by me when I was doing the interview. He said the danger isn't
> really that Bush will literally institute police-state measures as the
> bounds of what's acceptable have moved considerably. For example, people
> talk openly about the use of torture now, a position that two or three
> years ago would have been confined to right-wing cranks. You could say
> the same about how anything remotely critical is now coded as
> unpatriotic. These sorts of things are powerful, but hard to specify and
> fight against.

I don't read Zizek, but I'll reference Tim Robbins, who was interviewed this morning by Amy Goodman. He talked about how right wing radio is inciting people to act hate dissenters. Eventually a few loose nuts will do something violent. A few activists may get hurt or killed by these people in the future. Still, most activists won't be affected, unless the Bush regime and his cronies can create a systemic bogeyman like the "spectre of cummunism."

When we see the institution of death squads, or a resurrection of state violence against dissenters like we saw in the ealry 20th century, do I think that most American activists need to be truly worried. Until that time comes, if it ever does, we need to ratchet up our dissent. Remember that at least 30% of the American population is hardcore against bush right now. That's millions of people who have our backs.

Chuck0