[lbo-talk] Fwd: Should Iraq Be Democratized?

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 16 07:49:26 PDT 2003

This is tiresome. If America were a democracy, Bush wouldn't be President. But we are not talking about Platonic ideals. The non-democarcy envisaged by the Soviet-era fans of Pinochet and acolytes of Kirkpatrick was a right wing dictatorship or military rule -- _no_ elections (not just unfair ones), no free speech, no civil liberties, Zyganov would have been in a concentration camp or dead under them, not lerading the opposition. This is too obvious to say. Please note that I also put "democrats" in scare quotes in describing Yeltsin and Putin. jks

Chris Doss <itschris13 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>This was the line of Jean Kirkpatrick and her followers among some of the
>pre-post-Soviet "intelligentsia." Turned out to be wrong there. "Democrats"
>like Yeltsin and Putin were perfectly able to marginalize unacceptable
>politics. jks
--- If Russia had been a democracy, Zyuganov would have been president from 1996-2000.

_________________________________________________________________ The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail