[lbo-talk] Re: how's it feel?

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Wed Apr 16 23:04:51 PDT 2003

>Stannard67 at aol.com wrote:
>
>>With popular talking heads calling for the suspension of rights of
>>protest, defending the ruining of people's careers for their
>>political beliefs, comparing anti-war folks to the Vichy, I guess I
>>am angry as an activist, but scared as a father--frightened that my
>>political positions will render me unable to provide for my
>>children, or gain any future comforts in old age myself.
>
>Well, we survived McCarthyism. Is this worse?
>
>Doug

Some didn't.

I don't think the issue is whether we'd survive, it's about what we're in for, and the rising cost of resistance. We need strong social and political networks to get us through this, organization and support is perhaps the only antidote. One lesson from the McCarthy period is that it paid to fight when things looked pretty bleak. Fifteen years later: McCarthy's worst nightmare.

I'm feeling--in addition to appalled, sickened and furious--positive, inasmuch as this whole attack is clarifying what we're up against, even for me, and I thought I had a pretty good grasp. Nothing like leaps in comprehension to break through misery. However, a certain amount of overwhelmedness continues--we've been losing ground so fast it's hard to even tally the losses.

Several posts have registered disgust with people in the U.S. to the point of giving up on them/us. How many of us, without a radical outlook, watching only Fox or CNN, would have any clue? The propaganda has been quite effective. On top of that, the line the Bush conspirators finally had to settle on, 'freeing the Iraqi people from a terrible dictator,' is evidence they had to dress this war up as progressive to get people in the U.S. to knuckle under. We may be dumb fucks, but in general we're dumb fucks who care about fairness and democracy and all that. Too bad that's not what's really going on.

And not to give credence to polls, but 25% of the public still ain't buying it? After *that* propaganda blitzkrieg? If we didn't lack organization and focus, we'd be much more of a threat.

Oh, and I've become a pushover. I feel inordinately affectionate toward random people in the grocery store parking lot with 'attack Iraq no' stickers on their cars. I even kind of like Nathan listing out things the dems are doing. Probably temporary.

Jenny Brown