[lbo-talk] Re: how's it feel?

eric dorkin eric_dorkin at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 17 06:12:20 PDT 2003

why the cynicism? why bash the "people?" Because more than HALF of people surveyed thought that Iraqis attacked the world trade center. Now, for all of the disinformation out there, the Bushies NEVER made that pitch...in fact, they were very cautious (and should have been more so) to keep Al-Q linking to a minimum. So, where did the people get this? From their own "reading of the news." Which makes it all the more remarkable because there were polls in the news pointing out this distorted view of history. Now, with such a monumental event, you would think that "the people" would want to be at least nominally informed.....but no.....tie this in with the growing trend toward downgrading evolution and the failure of Americans to call religious zealots out, and that is where the cynicism comes from.

Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

JBrown72073 at cs.com wrote:

> And not to give credence to polls, but 25% of the public still ain't buying
> it? After *that* propaganda blitzkrieg? If we didn't lack organization and
> focus, we'd be much more of a threat.

Yes. I really don't like the general attacks on "the people." They seem to me utterly pointless self-indulgences. The only two interesting facts from the anti-war movement is this one, one-quarter of the population is a potential constituency, a fantastically large number, and the huge expansion of the circle of relationships leftists have achieved. To summarize:

1. Far more people are with us than we would ever have guessed before.

2. We know far more of them personally than we did before.

What's to be cynical or depressed about? We did know that the u.s. ruling class were cirminals, did we not? We did know that on the whole "bourgeois democracy" favors the ruling class, did we not?

Why aall the whining? Some leftists seem to rediscover capitalism as often as the u.s. loses its innocence.

Carrol