[lbo-talk] Polls about "Iraq" and "Terrorism" Re: how's it feel?

H. Curtiss Leung hncl at panix.com
Thu Apr 17 09:34:25 PDT 2003

Carl:

I think where Saddam Hussein was concerned, most Americans didn't even have reasons for the war, just a strong belief he was bad, and that they would only rationalize the war from his badness after the fact. If one had the opportunity to give people Socratic grillings about the war and the reasons for it, they'd probably have to concede that the war was pointless, except as a naked grab for power in the region.

One of the goofiest rationalizations came from some liberal hawks prior to the war: it was that since we'd built up to the war, we had to carry it through or else we'd look weak. Duh. Everyone knows what the American military can do, and that we've been a destablizing force more often than not. Exactly what threat was supposed to rise up if we stood down? Beats me; I don't recall anyone ever saying.

Curtiss