[lbo-talk] Polls about "Iraq" and "Terrorism" Re: how's it feel?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Apr 17 10:07:05 PDT 2003

"H. Curtiss Leung" wrote:

> One of the goofiest rationalizations came from some liberal hawks prior
> to the war: it was that since we'd built up to the war, we had to carry
> it through or else we'd look weak.

Goofy it may well be, but it was an argument accepted at the highest reaches of the u.s. government and u.s. ruling class in the 1960s, and it took an additional one or two million dead to convince them that it wasn't worth it.

Of course, I can remember the propaganda of the 1940s, and all the fun made in that propaganda of that strange Japanese habit of putting value on "face." We Americans would never engage in such foolishness.

Carrol