[lbo-talk] Re: how's it feel?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Apr 17 12:51:21 PDT 2003

At 11:22 AM -0700 4/17/03, Marta Russell wrote:
>If you get the chance to talk to people at the Post Office, grocery
>store, etc. as I have done, you will find that the chief sentiment
>is typically American, "well if you like them [Arabs] so much then
>move there." That is what they told me and a young Arab when we were
>discussing the New American Century principles standing in line. On
>other occasions I have felt as though some would like to spit on me.
>These people have no qualms about the killing and they have no
>sorrow for the slaughtering of civilians.

There are aggressive reactionaries -- mainly young, white, and male -- who think like that, but such a sentiment is hardly the chief one in the USA. Remember that before the war began, supporters for the war barely outnumbered opponents; also, supporters have been mainly passive ones, expressing support if specifically called upon to do so, but otherwise just minding their own business, not even bothering to hassle anti-war protesters. After the war began, support did climb, but the source of support is mainly the desire not to make US soldiers feel guilty. The reasoning is that if you oppose the war vocally, you may end up making US soldiers -- during or after the war -- bear the psychological burden of guilt, the guilt of killing or having killed without moral support. Paradoxically, they express support for the war _because_ they know that killing is a horrifying act that leaves an unbearable memory if unsanctioned by the majority of society. They say they support the war _because_ they don't want young American men and women to fight an unpopular war. -- Yoshie