[lbo-talk] Re: how's it feel?

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Thu Apr 17 11:22:16 PDT 2003

>Yes. I really don't like the general attacks on "the people." They seem
>to me utterly pointless self-indulgences.

Carol - I have to take issue with this. My criticism of Americans (and conclusion that we will never get anything much better to happen here) is that Americans won't challenge the empire in a way that threatens it. You cannot do this without a huge majority of people in this country.

I am exasperated with the self righteousness of the American people who sit in the safety seat watching the war show as if it is a football game. If you get the chance to talk to people at the Post Office, grocery store, etc. as I have done, you will find that the chief sentiment is typically American, "well if you like them [Arabs] so much then move there." That is what they told me and a young Arab when we were discussing the New American Century principles standing in line. On other occasions I have felt as though some would like to spit on me. These people have no qualms about the killing and they have no sorrow for the slaughtering of civilians. It is like Reality TV -- that is what you must do to win the game. They just want to go shopping, you know.

After watching the Armageddon part 3 last night tracing the history of "terrorism" it became crystal clear to me that only leaders representing a minority population who were willing to impose violence have made any revolution happen. Menacham Began. for instance, was a "terrorist" organizer before he became the head of Israel. He drove the British out by upping the bloodshed anti until the Brits wanted no more of it. Terror has been used in every substantial governmental overthrow since WWII. Now the Palestinians are using suicide bomber tactics to win self-determination. History repeats itself. Irony is too real. Americans live in lala land.

What is indulgent is sitting back from the action in the safety seat and expecting that "change" will come. Everyone on this list who has criticized the Iraqis for lack of fighting back what the hell have they done? Has anyone ever risked anything of substance, much less their lives?

So the American delimna is quite clear -- unless people are willing to become suicide bombers in this country there must be a huge majority of people willing to press for structural change because the few with the bucks have the political and military power.

>1. Far more people are with us than we would ever have guessed before.

With us in what way? To overthrow capitalism? Hardly.

And what is to be depressed about? After the war was "a success" many of those Brits who were challenging the war then turned around and supported it. I suspect the same has happened here. Blair has got his popularity back when we once thought he was a sure goner. Bush does not appear to be the loser here.

don't worry I am still in the fight but I am nauseas from this whole episode.

Marta --