[lbo-talk] a shred of hope

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Thu Apr 17 14:30:01 PDT 2003

>I was over at the local community recreation center yesterday, all 27 of
>which are slated for closure under Bloomberg's recent budget. The desk
>clerk there practically laughed at the threat of closure-- he told me it
>happens all the time and it's done to put pressure on the state. Why all
>the sophisticated theoretical debate on this list is matched by a simplistic
>political analysis that even regular folks laugh at is really a puzzle to
>me.
>
>-- Nathan newman

The LA County board of Supervisors voted 4-1 to close Rancho Los Amigos. No state to the rescue. No federal government to the rescue. Will their vote be overturned? By whom? The state (CA) did cut the SSI COLA in the past. It is threatened with being cut again. Medicaid is being cut back in states across the nation. I guess your above it all position Nathan makes you immune to the realities that do hit poor people in these simplistic political games.

Marta

-- Marta Russell Los Angeles, CA http://www.disweb.org