[lbo-talk] Re: how's it feel?

loupaulsen at attbi.com loupaulsen at attbi.com
Thu Apr 17 15:12:40 PDT 2003

> At 5:16 PM -0400 4/17/03, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> >That looks like a very convoluted explanation. The truth is much
> >simpler - herding behavior. People support the war for the same
> >reason they root for the home team - because thay have ben trained
> >to do so since pre-school. Being an outcast was always punished by
> >ostracism or bullying. For males, moreover, participation in
> >collective violence (virtual or actual) is a ritual affirming their
> >manhood in front of their peers - refusal to participate would be
> >seen as a sign of weakness and lower their rank vis a vis other
> >males.
>

> If rooting for "the home team" were the point, folks would be always
> rooting for it to the same degree. Attempts at ostracism and
> bullying have not been zero, but they have not been even remotely
> close to overwhelming pressures. The population who are most likely
> to be subject to pro-war bullying -- Arabs and Muslims in the USA --
> have not changed their opinions. Blacks remained steadfast in their
> opposition as well (unlike at the time of the first Gulf War):
> <http://www.gallup.com/poll/releases/pr030404.asp>.
> --
> Yoshie

I agree with Yoshie. You can't explain varying phenomena on the basis of invariant social mechanisms. You can say that there is always "herd behavior" (or, if you are feeling in a better mood and less contemptuous of the masses, "social control", "group processes", etc., but what explains the fact that the herds regroup and realign: patriotic, progressive, working-class, radical? Someone can come along and say that Feb. 15 was "herd behavior" as well, but why are there pro-war herds one day and anti-war herds another day? As for the idea that young men always want to do battle, even if I gave credit to this kind of XY sociobiology (although by allowing for "virtual violence" you incorporate just about any kind of political activity imaginable, including arguing on a list), why do some want to do battle with Iraqis while others want to do battle with the police?

"A man is not an ox"

--- title of a "Car 54, where are you?" episode

LP