[lbo-talk] Re: how's it feel?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Apr 18 08:08:51 PDT 2003

Lou:>
> I agree with Yoshie. You can't explain varying phenomena on
> the basis of
> invariant social mechanisms.

It is hardly invariant. It interacts with the environment. In some environments the in-group pressures have a better chance to develop than in others.

> masses, "social control", "group processes", etc., but what
> explains the fact
> that the herds regroup and realign: patriotic, progressive,
> working-class,
> radical? Someone can come along and say that Feb. 15 was

Whoever captures the imaginatin of the masses. Did not Mao make a similar observation?

Masses are like cattle. It is difficult to make them abandon their blissful rumination and run, the best way is to sufficiently scare them. But when they do start running - they can be herded in any direction - even into abyss - by dogs, cowboys, and other manipulators with necessary skills.

> to this kind of XY sociobiology (although by allowing for
> "virtual violence"

What I had in mind was male socialization patterns, rather than chromosomes.

Wojtek