[lbo-talk] Bush at Boeing

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Thu Apr 17 16:43:49 PDT 2003

OK I am way over the top on posting today. Last one.

The LA Times sports a picture of Bush giving a thumbs up to the workers at Boeing in St. Louis. He is smiling, confident, like God has smiled upon him. No boos reported.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-na-bush17apr17,1,493514.story?coll=la%2Dnews%2Da%5Fsection

The workers who gathered to hear Bush gave him a rousing welcome. And the president at times seemed ebullient. After finishing his remarks, as he prepared to get down from the stage to shake hands with some workers, he uncharacteristically blew a kiss to a group off to one side. In his speech, Bush lavishly praised defense workers and the state-of-the-art weapons they produce: "We've applied the new powers of technology ... to strike an enemy force with speed and incredible precision." More than ever, he said, that precision "is protecting the lives of our soldiers and the lives of innocent civilians." He added: "In this new era of warfare, we can target a regime, not a nation.... Terrorists and tyrants have now been put on notice, they can no longer feel safe hiding behind innocent lives. "Two weeks ago, the Iraqi regime operated a gulag for dissidents, and incredibly enough, a prison for young children. Now the gates to that prison have been thrown wide open.... One week ago, Baghdad was filled with statues and giant pictures of the dictator. They're kind of hard to find today," he added, eliciting laughter from the crowd.

-- Marta Russell Los Angeles, CA http://www.disweb.org -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20030417/5909f654/attachment.htm>