[lbo-talk] Rummy: "I don't think we'll discover anything, myself"

LouPaulsen LouPaulsen at attbi.com
Thu Apr 17 17:58:28 PDT 2003

> loupaulsen at attbi.com wrote:
>
> >We are just going through the motions looking for WMDs. We won't find
any.

> Why won't they just plant 'em? Cops plant drugs on ordinary suspects;
> why wouldn't they do the same, given the high stakes of this game?
>
> Doug

Naturally I was expecting this but now I am not betting. They might not bother to plant 'em.

Why not? Because the stakes aren't really very high. I know there have been all these articles in the press saying "there is increasing pressure to find WMDs". Really? From whom? WHAT pressure? Is anyone threatening to impeach Bush or indict Powell or abduct them and try them in the Hague?

Worst-case scenario: they actually find evidence that there are no WMDs, like, for example, a letter to Saddam saying "We have destroyed all the WMDs as you ordered" dated in 1991. Continue the scenario: Bush and Rummy ADMIT that there were no WMDs, but say "Well, how were we to know? They were a dictatorship, they couldn't be trusted, and they didn't cooperate. Bottom line: everyone is happy now." So what bad consequences happen to Bush and Rumsfeld in that scenario? None? In that case, why bother to plant any?

LP