[lbo-talk] Re: Know your enemy

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Thu Apr 17 18:07:29 PDT 2003

``...But (accepting provisionally its description of the Bush Administration) I pose again my earlier question: Why is the U.S. ruling class, seemingly, going along with all this?..'' Carrol Cox

-------

The simple answer is the whole package, its ideological representation, represents their material interests in the world.

The neoconservative understanding of democracy is the democracy of business and capital. That is, when they write about democracy and freedom they are thinking about the freedom of the high bourgeois and managerial elite, and of course themselves, the class intelligencia to pursue their personal and therefore class interest to make money, enjoy life, control all social cultural and discursive parameters, and keep the clambering masses at bay---safely on the other side of the iron gates to the well coiffured estates. That is the Good Life, for the Good People.

So, they have written up the Patriot Act for example to turn the entire US public infrastructure into a series of linked panopticon gated communities---some strange architectural morph between an Shopping Mall and an Israeli Settlement. Consider what entering an airport or a large office building really resembles.

In other words the once public space has become private space has become prison space disguised as a mall, airport, or office. That's a neoconservative's idea of democracy. Business is safe and free and clean and secure and well managed. Commerce is secure from all forms of contention and impolite aggressions. The lowly employees are utterly oppressed, intimidated, meek, and have to ask permission to pee or smoke---privileges frequently revoked---with no redress and no appeal. Its perfect order. If you complain, off to real jail you go, without the carpets and pretty clone women.

I had to spend ten hours in Dulles airport two weeks ago waiting to get back to SFO from DC because of a canceled flight. It gave me interesting time to consider some of these latest neoconservative domestic improvements.

Because I asked to have my film hand inspected instead of run through the x-ray machine, the security team took exception to my request. So they took me aside and hand searched me, my pack, and wallet, leaving everything in pile on the floor in front of me, where I had to reassemble it all, surround by security. Nice.

Anyway, I am still wondering through Halberstam's Best and Brightest, and it is fascinating to consider a very unlikely parallel between John Kennedy and his high brow policy crowd back then, and George Bush and his crowd of whatever they are now. The similarities are astonishing.

Chuck Grimes