[lbo-talk] Re: Know your enemy

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Apr 17 18:35:53 PDT 2003

Chuck Grimes wrote:

> `Anyway, I am still wondering through Halberstam's Best and Brightest,
> and it is fascinating to consider a very unlikely parallel between
> John Kennedy and his high brow policy crowd back then, and George Bush
> and his crowd of whatever they are now. The similarities are
> astonishing.

Why do you find the parallel unlikely, the similarities astounding? Actually, all but two or three of Roosevelt's Brain Trust would show similarities also. And it's been 56 years since I read the _Education of Henry Adams_, so I can't be sure but I suspect it too might show similarities.

This is also something like what Pound thought he saw in Fascism, though he deluded himself into thinking that this elite would have care for the needs of ordinary people. (That is, Pound thought that the alternatives were different elites, some of which were malevolent or stupid, others of which could be benevolent and intelligent.)

And is it not what Plato described (in highly abstracted & idealized form) in the _Republic_?

Carrol