[lbo-talk] Coups d'etats: A palm card

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Apr 21 05:11:23 PDT 2003

from the front page of today's FT:

<excerpt>

The director-general [of the Iraqi oil ministry] said he was confused by the lack of any formal notices . . . he lamented the whole US approach to dealing with postwar Iraq. "We have a lot of experience with coup d'états and this one is the worst," he said. "Any colonel in the Iraqi army will tell you that when he does a coup d'état, he goes to the broadcasting station with five announcements."

"The first one is long live this, down with that. The second one is your new government is this and that. The third is the list of the people to go on retirement. The fourth one, every other official is to report back to work tomorrow morning. The fifth is the curfew."

This is usually done within one hour, he added. "Now we are waiting more than a week and still we hear nothing from them."

<end excerpt>

Full: http://www.emailthis.clickability.com/et/emailThis?clickMap=viewThis&etMailToID=1496270509&pt=Y