RES: [lbo-talk] Gulag query

Alexandre Fenelon afenelon at zaz.com.br
Mon Apr 21 07:02:09 PDT 2003

-----Mensagem original-----

De: lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org]Em nome de andie nachgeborenen

Enviada em: domingo, 20 de abril de 2003 22:01

Para: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org

Assunto: Re: [lbo-talk] Gulag query

I think the estimates for collectization deaths run up to 8 million. I am not sure what exacttly Brad's point is, but the fact is that on the best evidence we now have (1) the toll of imprisonment and death of innocent people during the Stalin Terror was unacceptably high, and (2) was much, much lower than the standard guesstimates made before the archive were opened (20 million dead according to Conquest, 35 million according to Pipes, 50 million according to Solzhenitsyn, and indeed 10-15 million according to Medvedev). That does not make Stalinism OK. jks

-A question. How the casualties #´s in the 30´s are calculated? I don´t rely anymore on raw demographic data

-(the 17 million people missing in the 1937 census) as a measure of excesses deaths, since I used the same

-method for US in the 30´s, which gave a result of 11 million people "missing" (of course there was no mass

-murder in the USA in the 30´s, but this number is a good example on how unreliable those kind of estimates

-are). -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20030421/07898cc3/attachment.htm>