[lbo-talk] neocon economists

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Mon Apr 21 16:06:40 PDT 2003

I doubt he associated his work with right-wing politics. He had no use for the Reaganoids and was a model of civility in political discourse. But he had become skeptical of government programs.

Olson's LCA theory doesn't explain a lot of things, like idealism or religious fervor. Not great to analyze dynamic movements, better I would say to analyze established organizations. TR&DoN is just a crock, IMO. It's based on ten-cent econometrics (given the nature of the data). Olson didn't think econometrics was very important. He was much more interested in ideas. We used to joke that he was teaching us 19th century econ because he used these complicated diagrams (Lerner-Pearce model, for aficionados). Olson did other stuff of a more academic turn. He was an outstanding professor, unfailingly considerate of his students.

His methodology was conservative, but as far as politics went he basically became a not very active conservative Democrat. His real interest was in getting the Nobel prize.

Tullock is quite different -- a borderline nut case, but at least a thinker. Murray is just pond scum.

mbs

Did Olson ever repudiate the manner in which the neocons-Reaganites appropriated his analysis of unions in LCA and TR&DoN in order to justify their attacks on same? I remember DC in the 80's-90's one couldn't have an argument with a right-winger without Olson's name popping up in defense of their position which is why I included him on my list. Two additions to my list would be Gordon Tullock, one of whose books was on prominent display in DC bookstores after Gingrich began his short megalomaniacal trajectory, and the faux sociologist Charles Murray [no relation thank you very much....]

BTW, given the utterly positivist methods inscribed in Olson's works, he is a conservative on at least one count. :-) His stuff fails to explain the Civil Rights movement adequately as well as the movement for Indian independence from England and the rise of Nazism etc. Somebody recently did a monograph on various social movements testing Olson's and some other ca theorists and they all came up wanting. The text is now used by some profs. at UW.

Ian