[lbo-talk] Rightnut Astroturf (Re: was Hegemony, Nature of)

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Apr 24 21:01:29 PDT 2003

Kelley wrote:

> Now, what? do we recreate the same thing? I find the thought of
> encouraging this kind of dittohead agit prop for "our side" deeply
> problematic. Not that you're proposing this, but what kind of people
> does that create? People who don't have two brain cells to rub together.
> Dittoheads do not create the kind political practices, practices of
> commitments, and political communities that are capable of substantive
> democracy.

The easy answer seems to be that we need to parrot what they are doing.

But then we become like them and continue this culture of ignorance. I think the best solution is to heed Emma Goldman's words that "the most violent element in society is ignorance." The right wing cultivates ignorance, while we should be helping everybody learn to think for themselves and develop good bullshit detectors.

And this needs to happen without sending more people off to formal schooling that exists to perpetuate ignorance.

Chuck0