[lbo-talk] GOP's Santorum says homosexuality a threat

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Fri Apr 25 03:54:39 PDT 2003

Chris:

> I wsn't there, but I would say no. The Russian variety of
> messianism is not
> chest-thumping.

I am well familiar with the genre. It is silly but not as obnoxious as Anglo-saxon jingoism and chest thumping.

Wojtek --- Russian exceptionalism is a strange bird. If you read transcripts of Russian military brass talking, its full of stuff about Russia's moral strength and historical civilizing role. Many people get very pissed of at the East Europeans (e.g. the Poles) for allegedly not recognizing all the good things Russia did for them, like industrializing them and getting rid of the Nazis. "Ingrates!"

But chest-thumping it is not. Comew to think of it, to my knowledge there was nothing in the USSR corresponding to the Rambo/Red Dawn Hollywood dreck, with some badass Soviet soldier going around blowing the shit out of American solders. (Though there were espionage thrillers and thinks like that, nothing bloodthirsty, not even the WWII-themed stuff.) Hard to reconcile with the internationalist ideology.