[lbo-talk] Soviet Action Adventures! (was GOP's Santorum...)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Apr 25 20:39:32 PDT 2003

At 2:54 PM +0400 4/25/03, ChrisD(RJ) wrote:
>Comew to think of it, to my knowledge there was nothing in the USSR
>corresponding to the Rambo/Red Dawn Hollywood dreck, with some
>badass Soviet soldier going around blowing the shit out of American
>solders. (Though there were espionage thrillers and thinks like
>that, nothing bloodthirsty, not even the WWII-themed stuff.)

The Soviets, it appears, did make some "action adventures," though, as you note, nothing bloodthirsty....

E.g.

***** CROWN OF THE RUSSIAN EMPIRE

Description: The last film in the adventure trilogy about the elusive avengers - the four brave friends. The Russian Civil War is over. Still some of the Russians are entertaining plans of restoring monarchy in their native country, with the two pretenders to the throne standing ready. But for the coronation ceremony, they need an Emperor's Big Crown which is kept behind armored glass in one of the museums. The Extraordinary Commission for Preventing Counterrevolutionary Activities charges its four "elusive" agents with protecting the crown. And again we are to experience the breathtaking chase after the adventurers and more exciting escapades and life-threatening stunts, with which this film abounds.

Studio: Mosfilm Year of Release: 1971 Director: Edmond Keosayan Script: Edmond Keosayan Camera: Mikhail Ardabyevsky Music by: Ian Frenkel Cast: Mikhail Metelkin, Victor Kosykh, Vassily Vassiliev, Valentina Kurdyukova, Ivan Pereverzev, Vladislav Strzhelchik, Armen Djigarkhanyan, Arkady Tolbuzin, Rolan Bykov, Ian Frenkel, Liudmila Gurchenko, Andrei Fait, Edmond Keosayan, Grigory Shpigel, Nina Agapova Running time: 66+68 min. Color: colored Format: 16:9 Collection: Director Release: not released Date of DVD Release: 2004

<http://www.ruscico.com/detail_eng.php?link=59> ***** -- Yoshie