[lbo-talk] Re: Cuba petition (Chomsky, Zinn, Ariel Dorfman et. al.)

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Fri Apr 25 21:06:18 PDT 2003

MP wrote:
>The following petition opposing Cuban govt repression of elements in its

>nonviolent opposition was produced by folks around the Campaign for Peace

>and Democracy. The statement differs from the Ian Williams-Leo Casey

>petition (which I signed, and would again) in, that, among other

>distinctions, it unambiguously and on principle opposes US intervention in

>Cuba.The point is made so unambiguously that even comrades on the Thick

>Left will notice.

Maybe I am thick, but isn't it odd that neither of these U.S. generated petitions condemns our own government for pumping millions of dollars into opposition groups in what no-one disagrees is a foreign attempt to destabilize the Cuban government? And which it seems reasonable to believe is a provocation.

For open USAID funding, both in and out of Cuba see: http://www.usaid.gov/regions/lac/cu/upd-cub.htm

Including 800K to "U.S-Cuba Business Council Surveyed U.S. private sector resources and plans to assist the eventual reconstruction of the Cuban economy. Conducted a conference series on Cuba's democratic free market future."

and: "University of Miami: Cuba Transition Planning Analyzes challenges that will face a future transition government in Cuba, including: legal reform, political party formation, privatization and foreign investment, combating corruption, education reform, economic policy reform, international donor coordination."

Also lists dozens of other projects, apparently falling into the category of what CPD delicately calls "American aid."

Jenny Brown