Too much $$ (Was Re: Off List Re: [lbo-talk] Hey Brad)

Kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Sat Apr 26 09:43:56 PDT 2003

At 09:17 AM 4/26/03 -0700, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

>I'm not sure of your point, Kells, I never complained that I was making
>too little when I was a professor, although at the time I was making 35K,
>and I certainly don't complain that I am making too liitle now. Someone
>here from Virginia was complaining that his professors were complaining
>about that to him, but I don't know what they were making there. Now
>public school teachers, that's a different story. They definitely make too
>little. jks

well, steve was responding to yoshie, initially. she was comparing how little you might have been making had you remained at OSU and rec'd tenure. since there seemed to be some disagreement over averages, given that pay is different depending on the department, i looked it up. I wanted to know how much less a phil prof would make. (I gave up PhD study at Binghamton in philosophy when I had to choose between cornell, binghamton, and syracuse. i was petrified that a degree in phil would get me nowhere and, if i couldn't get a job in academia, i had no idea what i would do with such a degree. So, I pursued something more "practical." It was especially important at the time to assuage to fears of the wasband since he was always fond of talking about the dishwasher/philosophy phud he used to work with. :)

anyway, i join him in shedding a tear for all professors who make so little money. :) i get a little sick and tired of watching steve get bashed by you and others.

steve attends virginia tech. avg. asst, 51.6k and avg assoc, 60.5.