Too much $$ (Was Re: Off List Re: [lbo-talk] Hey Brad)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 26 10:12:00 PDT 2003

since there seemed to be some disagreement over averages, given that pay is different depending on the department, i looked it up. I wanted to know how much less a phil prof would make.

* *

For which thanks. I was also curious. It is a lot less than the average.

> (I gave up PhD study at Binghamton in
philosophy when I had to choose between cornell, binghamton, and syracuse. i was petrified that a degree in phil would get me nowhere

* *

Very wise of you.

> anyway, i join him in shedding a tear for all professors who make so little
money. :) i get a little sick and tired of watching steve get bashed by you and others.

* *

I have been harsh on Brad lately, but I can't ever recall even criticizing Steve.

> steve attends virginia tech. avg. asst, 51.6k and avg assoc, 60.5.

Averages are misleading, as we see. But a dollar probably goes farther in Blacksburg than even in Columbus. My brother in law is an asst prof of biology or something at UCLA, where the approx $75K he makes does not go far. Yeah, yeah, I know it's even harder for the many million in LA who make a fraction of that. But still, it's not luxury at $75 in LA, it's a living.

Still, I am unclear of the point of sneering at modestly paid middle class professors who think they ought to be paid more when it is true that they ought, merely because there are many miserably paid proletarians who also ought to be paid more. Are we getting Peter Singerian here, the pros ought to give to charity down to the point of diminishing marginal returns, or what?

I haven't actually got a dog in this fight. I'm a vastly overpaid corporate lawyer who has absolutely no grounds to complain about my compensation, and I don't. I agitate for higher taxes, too.