[lbo-talk] Awww...soo sad....

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Apr 28 21:34:22 PDT 2003

Jon Johanning wrote:

> Doug Henwood wrote:
>
> > Didn't a few Black Panthers meet their ends at the hands of death
> > squads of sorts?
>
> I and a few other peaceniks were almost killed by the "Minutemen" just
> before the 1968 Democratic Convention. Ironically enough, our skins were
> saved by the FBI and the Connecticut State Police.

I think I would define "Death Squads" as private groups _having links to the police and/or military_. Lynchings under Jim Crow would qualify. The Minutemen were perhaps would-be death squads, but the ruling class wasn't quite that scared yet in the '60s to "unleash" such groups. I received several of those minutemen postal cards in the late '60s, and had bricks tossed through my windows several times, but that was the extent of it here.

Carrol