[lbo-talk] Awww...soo sad....

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Mon Apr 28 21:19:39 PDT 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Didn't a few Black Panthers meet their ends at the hands of death
> squads of sorts?

I and a few other peaceniks were almost killed by the "Minutemen" just before the 1968 Democratic Convention. Ironically enough, our skins were saved by the FBI and the Connecticut State Police.

From that experience, I would say that there is always a possibility of small bands of Minutemen-like domestic terrorists arising, but (crossing my fingers) it might take a number of years of hysteria on the right comparable to the situation in the 60s before they appeared now, and the current climate might quiet down some in the next few years. (Let's hope!)

OTOH, we do need to remember that one or more (I'm sorry I don't remember exactly how many) doctors who provided abortions were killed in the last few years, and a number of clinics have been bombed.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org ______________________________ If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.-- Isaac Newton If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders.-- Hal Abelson, MIT professor