[lbo-talk] "Criticism From Leftists Surprises Cuba"

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Tue Apr 29 10:16:15 PDT 2003

KJKhoo wrote:
> >Yes. This has been repeatedly confirmed by independent observers. Nearly
70%
> >of terrorists killed in Kashmir are non-Kashmiris.
>
> Doesn't this require a bit more unpacking?
>
> Isn't there -- or could that be wasn't there -- a significant degree
> of Kashmiri sentiment for some kind of autonomy, perhaps amounting to
> separate statehood?

What was originally an indigenous and secular movement has now been hijacked by Jihadis. Kashmiris are now completely fed up of violence. My statement that " Nearly 70% of terrorists killed in Kashmir are non-Kashmiris" refers to the situation in Kashmir in the recent years. A formally independent Kashmir can only be a US protectorate in reality. IMO, accepting the Line of Control in Kashmir as an international border is the only practical solution. I had posted an article "Kashmir: Line of Control As Border" on lbo on 4 April 03.

The context for this remark of mine was Cuba's support to Kashmiri self-determination. Many nations in Asia face similar problems. Philippines, Indonesia, Myanmar, Sri Lanka etc. Does Cuba have a consistent and principled position in such matters?

Ulhas