[lbo-talk] poll on civil liberties in US

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Apr 30 15:53:16 PDT 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

> [there are some misspellings ("Gallop") and odd word choices
> ("vagaries") that make one wonder, but...]
>
> Press Release
>
> From: Retro Poll www.retropoll.org
>

> On the other hand, 42% continue to believe there is evidence (only 36% say
> there is not) that Saddam Hussein worked with the 9-11 terrorists, a key
> message of the Bush team that has never been bolstered by fact. And when
> assessing who supports the war against Iraq we have now shown in two
> consecutive polls (total sample size 365) that it is mainly people who
> accepted the government's hoopla about an Iraqi threat on face value (they
> remain 2:1 for war).

That is depressing IF one's conception of politics is electoral; it is exhilarating if one's conception of politics is mass movement. If this is a valid poll, over 30% of those who _believe_ the lie are STILL opposed to the war.

That is an awesome number to be opposed. They are presumably, then, open to anti-war agitation, and potentially angry at having been deceived!

This is the most hopeful poll figure I have seen yet -- too hopeful, I suspect, to be believed.

Carrol