[lbo-talk] cell phones & RDD

Cliff Staples clifford_staples at und.nodak.edu
Sat Aug 2 13:03:27 PDT 2003

At 12:39 PM 8/2/2003 -0700, you wrote:
> > The reason is that cell numbers aren't included in
> > RDD generators because subscribers can be billed for
> > incoming calls ...
>
>So all we have to do is lobby The Phone Company to change the billing
>model for our phones to be like cellphones and maybe telemarketing will
>get outlawed! :-)

That's one possibility. The other, more likely one in my opinion, is that the cell phone rate structure will more likely come to resemble the old fashion flat rate. Things are inching that way now with the gazillion minutes a month business. But in the meantime, as I noted yesterday, sampling bias will increase as more and more people drop land lines. Whether those who do are or aren't representative of all households is an open question. There's probably some data out there on the SES of cell phone users, but probably not much on cell-phone-only users.

Cliff