[lbo-talk] cell phones & RDD

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Aug 2 20:02:37 PDT 2003

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003, Cliff Staples wrote:

> But in the meantime, as I noted yesterday, sampling bias will increase
> as more and more people drop land lines.

I haven't talked to a pollster in 20 years, since they invented answering machines, because I screen my calls. Are we call screeners such an insignificantly small group that we've never been enough to bias the results? When pollsters get a machine, and hang up, is it just counted as a "not at home?"

On a related topic, I recently got my first piece of phone spam -- a message was left on my machine in a friendly and attractive female voice that said "Hi Honey! Here's the phone number for those weight loss products they were discussing on CNN last week!" Is this the wave of the future?

Michael