[lbo-talk] US admits secret list of anti-war activists

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 2 15:51:38 PDT 2003

mike larkin linked to

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/story.jsp?story=430073:

Once people were on the list, there was no procedure for trying to get off it. The TSA did not even think it was important to keep track of people singled out in error for a security grilling. According to documents the agency released, it saw "no pressing need to do so".

And further on we find this gem, revealing the next-generation cognitive skills of our watchers:

The complaints by the ACLU form part of a pattern of protest since the 11 September attacks, with the Bush administration repeatedly under fire for detaining people on the flimsiest of grounds in the name of the "war on terror". Many Muslims have had a hard time, especially if they have a surname such as Hussein.

Uh huh.

What this means, among other unpleasantness, is that the American tendency to “profile” has cast its mind-killing spell over the airport screening apparatchiks.

As usual, the appropriate targets of such scrutiny will circumvent the clumsy efforts of the ideologically and racially preoccupied. I remember reading stories (nearly always in English language editions of foreign news sites) over a year ago of a 70-something Irish activist detained at gunpoint and an Indian-Canadian detained because the security folks didn’t believe this brown-skin hailed from the Great White North.

At the risk of presiding over the champagne launch of yet another nutritious and delicious Stalin thread, wasn't it Iron Joe who’s reported to have said that “everyone’s guilty!”?

DRM