Dull, dull, dull (was Re: [lbo-talk] Ann Coulter's Living)

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 4 13:42:05 PDT 2003

If The Weekly Standard is so "lively," so much "fun," why can't they get anyone to buy it? Its circulation is very low for a magazine of its profile, and I've heard they give a lot of the subscriptions away. I think its writers, like David Brooks, are incredibly shallow and over-rated. If it wasn't for the Big Money behind it, the journal would collapse in a minute.

The Nation is easy to bash, but its circulation has soared in recent years, and many of the articles really are great, like that recent one comparing the U.S. to imperial Japan.

As for more "lively" left magazines, there are plenty, like Clamor and Punk Planet. Look around.