[lbo-talk] Irish commissioner's comments on tobacco company executives

Lance Murdoch lbotalk at lancemurdoch.org
Mon Aug 4 14:40:29 PDT 2003

http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=healthNews&storyID=3213584

EU Commissioner Backs Irish Smoking Ban Mon August 4, 2003 07:23 AM ET

HELSINKI (Reuters) - Irish plans to stamp out smoking in public places were backed on Monday by the European Union's (EU) top health official, who also accused the tobacco industry of aiming products at youth.

[...]

"Are we going to put into the balance the health of the public against profits? I am sure the population of Ireland and other places in the EU (don't) want (that)," said Health and Consumer Affairs Commissioner David Byrne, who is Irish.

[...]

"I don't meet the industry any more... It is a pointless exercise because we have different aims in mind. I want to close them down, they want to make profits," he added.